Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Wine Wednesday - Vinoteca


Well, it's Wednesday and I wanted to review a wine for my blog post, keep with my New Year's resolution, and didn't want to open a bottle to sample at home. So, I headed out to DC's U Street and stopped by Vinoteca. I’ve been to this wine bar a couple of times before but never when I could sit back and really enjoy the wine, the atmosphere, chatting with the bartender, etc. And enjoy I did! For their happy hour from 5pm – 7pm, they offer $5 glasses of wine. Not your regular house wines, I’m talking about 10 whites, a rose, 10 reds, and a beer! I choose the 2007 FairValley Pinotage as my first glass. Being a bit familiar with Pinotage, I was expecting its typical gamey-ness, but not here. This one was rich with ripe plum flavors and a slight hint of oak. Thought it would be perfect with the liver mousse crostini that was also on the menu…or maybe I was just in the mood to try something new. No matter, the kitchen was out of it so I had the Pan Catalan, crostini with with garlic, tomato, prosciutto and manchego. Delicious!

After eating, I would have loved to try another glass of wine since it was still happy hour but I was the only one at the bar that was sitting by myself  So I felt a bit out of place and realized that as much as I enjoy Vinoteca, I will definitely have to come back with a dining or drinking companion. And I just have to come back, there are 20 other wines that I need to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment