Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Back to Work!

Back from France, kinda over my jetlag...I had to get back into the swing of things! I usually attend Robert Kacher's portfolio tasting as a guest, their to decide what wines to put on various restaurant lists that I work with. But this time I was on the other side of the table, I was pouring the wines. I poured for Table #4 and had the pleasure of pouring beside 2 French winemakers. Another sign that I'm supposed to be learning French and working with a winemaker in France SOON! But anyway....

I worked with Lionel Lavail of Cazes-Lavail from Languedoc-Rousillon and Joel Delaunay of Delaunay Wines from Loire Valley. It was a pleasure to meet Lionel Lavail as I am very familiar with his wines, Cotes Catalanes Blanc and Rouge are already in regular rotation in my wine rack. New to me where his Carignan, loved it's earthy dark cherry flavors; Rivesaltes Ambre, a honeyed, baked apple taste; Muscat de Rivesaltes, peaches; Maury red and white dessert wines. More of his wines will definitely be added to my own personal portfolio.

Joel Delaunay poured Touraine Blanc "Le Bois Martin" 2009, 100% Sauvignon Blanc with floral aromas and light citrusy flavors; and Touraine Rouge "Les Cabotieres" 2006, 75% Cabernet Franc, 25% Malbec (I just can't get away from that Malbec, LOL) with ripe berry flavors and medium tannins.

There were easily over 50 wines here to taste, and I really only tasted the ones at my table and some of the dessert wines. Oh yeah, and the champagne :-) But with being behind the table, I got to get another experience by speaking personally with the winemaker and also meeting all the retailers, distributors, restaurant owners, and others that attended the tasting to make their selections for their respective businesses. All in a day's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment