Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Speaking Your Language

I am always into something. This time, I'm learning French. I just finished up a semester of Beginner French I through the Global Language Network at The George Washington University (my grad school alma mater). A full immersion class, we spoke 90% French in class when we met for 2 hours every Tuesday. In the beginning, I mostly looked at the instructor with a real blank look because I had no idea what she was talking about! But now, I can figure some of the words out and even form complete sentences in French. Go me!

For our last class we went to Bistrot du Coin in Dupont.
Since I'm a wine blogger, I arrived a bit early to enjoy some French wine at the bar. I decided on an Alsace, melon & honey on the nose. Honey, lemon, tart aftertaste. Once the class had arrived, we were seated in a table close to the open windows and had a French waiter and ordered in French. My French is definitely shaky but I do know my foods :-) Steak Frites!

Doing at the French do, I ordered a Kir Royale as an aperitif to enjoy before my Tournedos au Trois Poivres, which is pan seared steak with red wine peppercorn sauce, arrived. Kir Royale is Champagne and Chambord (a raspberry liqueur) and very popular among the French. I was ordering them quite often when I first got back from France last year and had forgotten how much I enjoy the drink. It was a fruity crisp flavor that was perfect for the heat of the day. And my steak was amazing!! I have to go back there again to try the moules (mussels) and canard (duck)

Our teacher brought a French exchange student with her so I had the pleasure of trying out my French on her, a high school freshman. And she had the opportunity to work on her English with us. After a bit of confusion in the beginning, laughter, and Google translate, we were able to communicate some basic sentences and ask her some basic questions. She really likes shopping at the Gap in America :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment