Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Last of the Summer Wine

Fall officially started this week according to the calendar...but someone forgot to tell Mother Nature. Temps during the day hit the 90's! So I figure I should definitely begin to drink up the rest of my 'summer' wine. Of course any wine can be drunk at any time during the year, there are some wines that are so crisp and refreshing that you automatically think, patio, picnic, beach favorite. Although I've been known to order a pitcher when eating tapas, Sangria is one of those drinks for me, especially white sangria. So I grabbed my Silver Birch Sauvignon Blanc from my Octavin Home Wine Bar and made some White Sangria. Sauvignon Blanc already has such a crisp citrus flavor that is really highlighted when adding citrus fruits and fruit juice to the wine. It makes for a tart, tangy, mouth-watering delicious wine beverage that you can serve with ice.

My recipe is below. Please note: I rarely use any kind of accurate measurements when I make my sangria so please be sure to just add the fruit and liquor to your desired taste. Isn't mixing drinks more fun that way?!

White Sangria

1 kiwi
1 lemon
1 lime
1/2 orange
handful of pineapple chunks
a few shots of whiskey
1 bottle of IZZE Clementine sparkling fruit juice
Silver Birch Sauvignon Blanc (Octavin Home Wine Bar)

Slice the kiwi, and quarter the lemon and lime to place in the pitcher. Squeeze a couple of the lime and lemon quarter in the pitcher before you throw them in the pitcher. Squeeze the 1/2 orange in the pitcher, then quarter it and throw it in too. Toss in the handful of pineapple chunks. Using the Octavin spout, fill the pitcher about 3/4 full. Stir the wine and fruit so the flavors will blend. Pour in the whiskey. Place the pitcher in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Just before serving, pour in the bottle of IZZE and stir. Pour in glasses, let some fruit fall in the glass! Enjoy!

**I received the wine as a sample**

No comments:

Post a Comment