Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Shot In The Dark


It's been awhile since I've been able to taste with other 'wine-knows' that really know what they're doing and really have a passion for it. That drought ended last night! I had the pleasure of being part of the tasting group hosted by Julie Dalton CWE, Directora de Vinos & Sommelier, of Ranazul Tapas and Wine Bistro in Fulton, MD.

We were poured 2 flights blind, 3 whites and 3 reds. Then following the tasting methods of the Court of Master Sommeliers, each person when through their grid on their own while one brave soul provided their comments out loud. Not to toot my own horn but, I didn't do too bad when it came to sight, nose, and palate. Brightness, meniscus and viscocity determinations were new to me so I will need a little work on those. Now the pre- and final conclusions...I only picked 1 1/2 correctly. This is where I need the practice. Determining climates, new world or old world and why... Julie was amazing in getting us to give her the answers by walking through ever step, some tell-tale flavor or aroma characteristics that will help us to distinguish and determine varietals, countries and regions.

The 6 wines we tasted were: Spanish Albarino, Pouilly-Fume (Sauvignon Blanc), Condrieu (I thought Viognier for this one but there is no chance I was 'guessing' region, honestly I really did think it was Viognier!), Beaujolais Villages (Gamay), Chinon (Cabernet Franc), Grand Cru Echezeaux (Pinot Noir).

The Grand Cru Echezeaux blew us away! I drank every drop of that one. I so can't wait to meet with the group again. Maybe I'll even give my comments aloud...

No comments:

Post a Comment